Tues, Sept 17
7 - 9pm
St. Francis of Assisi Sanctuary
All are welcome! Bring a friend!
Come celebrate Eucharist with Fr. Ray and Fr. Mark and also learn about:
- Elements of the Mass
- History of the Mass
- Scriptural basis for the Mass
- Our responsibility for full, conscious, and active participation in the Mass
Praying with Icons
In Dec 2018, Fr. Basil Hickman and Fr. Makarios presented an evening of learning and prayer to help us better understand and pray with the beautiful icons in our church. For more information about our speaker, visit St. George Greek Orthodox Church.
- Watch Part 1 and Part 2 of the video.
- View the reflection guide. Printed copies are available in the gathering space information rack.
- Our presenters also recommended two other video resources, Venerating Icons (5 min video) at this link and Prosopon School Process of Iconography (20 min video) at this link.
An Advent Evening of Reflection
In Nov 2018, Katie Patrizio presented an evening of learning and reflection to help us prepare for the season of Advent. For more information about our speaker, visit katiepatrizio.com
- Watch Part 1 and Part 2 of the video. Please note that the video is a bit out of focus due to lighting issues, but the sound quality is good.
Praying the Mass
In Sept 2018, Fr. Ray McHenry and Fr. Trevor Chicoine celebrated the Eucharist and taught about what the Mass is, the parts of the Mass, preparing for Mass, and praying the Mass.
The Book of Acts: A Four-Session Study
In April 2018, Katie Patrizio, M.A., Director of Faith Formation at St. Cecilia Parish in Ames, walked participants through the Acts of the Apostles describing how the salvation promised to the Jewish people in the Old Testament and accomplished by Jesus has now been extended to all peoples.
- Watch videos here.
Prayer & Spirituality: Preparing for Advent
In November 2017, Cindy Shaw, Director of the Emmaus House in Des Moines, shared practical ways to grow in your prayer life, as well as provided time for personal reflection.
Church History: 30AD to Present
Three-week series on Church History offered during May 2017, with Jason Collins, M. A. Click here for an overview of the sessions. Click here to view photos from the sessions on our parish Facebook page.
Grace, Love, and the Nitty-Gritty
In August 2016, Dr. Matt and Stacy Halbach shared their experiences of marriage and family life in light of Pope Francis' recent document, "The Joy of Love." Their witness highlighted the important role of grace, the need for mercy and forgiveness, and the joy that comes with embracing the messiness of marriage.
View and print the presentation slides.
Watch Part 1 and Part 2 of the video.