High School Faith Formation (HSFF) serves all of our parish’s students in 9th-12th grades. HSFF serves students from various high schools and includes Confirmation preparation (required to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation) and our optional youth ministry program called FISH (Fellowship in Spirit with Him). HSFF also offers the opportunity to attend Boldly Sent (a Diocese of Des Moines event), the National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC), Spring Break service opportunities, and a summer mission trip. Please note that preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation and FISH are different programs.
To register for FISH and Preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation visit:
Sacrament of Confirmation
- Confirmation Preparation: Students who will be in 9th grade (2020-21 academic year) will be confirmed in Fall 2021. They will need to register for the formation/preparation process that takes place during 9th grade.
- Sacrament of Confirmation: Students who will be in 10th grade (2020-21 academic year) will be confirmed in Fall 2020. They will need to register with Sacramental Informational that is needed for the Confirmation Registry including confirmation name and sponsor information.
Confirmation Preparation-9th Grade
During their freshman year, students will participate in the formation process to prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation. Students will then be confirmed during the fall of their sophomore year.
Part of the preparation process includes choosing a Confirmation sponsor and a Confirmation name. Please click the links below for additional information.
- Ninth-grade students attend six small group preparation sessions designed to help the students strengthen their own faith lives
- Small groups meet on the first Wednesday during the months of October, November, December, February, March, and April
- Before attending their first session, students are asked to complete their Faith Habits Worksheet
- They will also attend a retreat in Fall 2021 (date TBD) prior to receiving the Sacrament
2020-21 9th Grade Confirmation Small Group Schedule
|Wednesday, October 7||7:15 – 8:30 pm|
|Wednesday, November 4||7:15 – 8:30 pm|
|Wednesday, December 2||7:15 – 8:30 pm|
|Wednesday, February 3||7:15 – 8:30 pm|
|Wednesday, March 3||7:15 – 8:30 pm|
|Wednesday, April 7||7:15 – 8:30 pm|
Sacrament of Confirmation-10th Grade
After completing the formation process during their freshman year, students will then be confirmed during the fall of their sophomore year. During their sophomore year, they will also attend the Confirmation retreat prior to receiving the sacrament.
2020-21 10th Grade Confirmation Small Group Schedule
|Wednesday, September 9||7:15 – 8:30 pm||Small Group session (make up for cancelled April session)|
|Sunday, September 20||TBD||Confirmation Retreat (sponsors invited)|
|Wednesday, October 21||TBD||Confirmation Rehearsal (with sponsors and 1 parent)|
|Sunday, October 25||2:00 pm and 5:30pm||Confirmation|
The Sacrament of Confirmation is currently scheduled for Oct 25 at 2:00 pm & 5:30 pm for those who have completed formation. Students will be assigned a time to keep the numbers at each Mass balanced. If you need a specific Mass time, please contact Christy Peletz, High School Faith Formation Coordinator, (515) 440-1030 or email@example.com.
FISH (Fellowship in Spirit with Him)
FISH is our high school youth ministry program open to ALL students in 9th-12th grade. It takes place on the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Wednesday during the months of September through April beginning September 23, 2020.
This year during FISH, there will be two different ways for our youth to learn and grow in their faith:
- Alpha Youth: Each session the students will be invited to share in the opportunity to grow in their faith and become better acquainted with the Gospels as we follow the Alpha Youth series; included each week is the chance to share a meal together and discuss issues about our faith. The Alpha Youth series mirrors the Alpha series being offered to adults in our parish. For more information, visit Alpha Youth Series.
- Lifeteen: Each session the students will have the opportunity to learn about an aspect of their Catholic faith through games, small group discussion, and prayer. Life nights will have catechetical, issue or social themes.
Each month students will also be invited to take part in service opportunities, social events, and other faith-building events outside of Wednesday nights.
Summer Mission Trip
Due to Covid-19, summer mission trip plans are on hold. Watch this space for more information.
Adult Volunteers Needed
Adults can volunteer in various ways including:
- Confirmation small group leader- Small group discussion is an essential part of the confirmation preparation process. We rely on parents of the students preparing for confirmation to lead these small groups. Small groups can meet at church or in your home. All materials and training will be provided. Students of Confirmation small group leaders will receive their FISH tuition 100% waived.
- FISH Core Team-This role is to lead small group discussions, be a mentor to our youth through relational ministry, and be part of the core team to take turns in leading the teaching and FISH nights. 100% Tuition Waived.
- HSFF event support-For all events that involve youth, we have to meet Diocesan ratios for adults and youth, so we need parents to help volunteer/chaperone and possibly drive youth to events. If you are interested in helping with this, you can indicate it on your student’s FISH registration or contact Christy Peletz.
- Youth and High School Faith Formation Advisory Team-The purpose of the Youth and High School Faith Formation Advisory Team is to develop a multifaceted approach to faith formation by identifying, creating, and offering a variety of resources and opportunities for youth and family faith formation.
For more information or if you are interested in volunteering, please contact Christy Peletz, High School Faith Formation Coordinator, (515) 440-1030 or firstname.lastname@example.org.