The Homeless and Hungry Committee at St. Francis of Assisi parish offers parishioners the opportunity to assist homeless and hungry people in the greater Des Moines area. We do this by serving a local shelters and hosting various projects throughout the year:
- Coat Drive in the Fall
- Thanksgiving Baskets in November
- Angel Tree in December
- Lenten Crosses in March/April
- Food Pantry Sunday. This is a collection every 4th Sunday of the month.
We also coordinate meals at 3 different shelters on a monthly basis.
- St. Joseph Family Emergency Shelter: Volunteers provide dinner for approximately 30 people on the 2nd Saturday of each month. Contact: Kim Mallisee
- Central Iowa Shelter & Services: Volunteers provide the meal, supplies and serve downtown on the 9th and 10th of each month. View the signup here. Contact: Lisa Altringer
- Connection Café: Volunteers serve lunches for over 100 homeless and working poor the 3rd Wednesday of each month in downtown Des Moines. Contact: Carole Chambers
To be added to the email list for these service opportunities, please send an email to email@example.com and let us know which program you are interested in.
Any questions, regarding this committee can be directed to Montse Madden, Social Concerns Chair. (link to firstname.lastname@example.org)