The Sacrament of Confirmation is one of the sacraments of initiation, along with Baptism and Eucharist. This sacrament is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace and serves as a foundation for a continuum of spiritual growth as one’s life unfolds and matures.
At St. Francis of Assisi, preparation for Confirmation typically occurs in the 9th grade year and the Sacrament is received in the fall of the 10th grade year.
Please note that preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation and Youth Ministry are different programs.
Online registration for 2021-2022 is closed as we prepare the online registration for 2022-2023. Please contact Lisa Schmidt the Faith Formation Office at 515-440-1030 to discuss Confirmation needs.
Confirmation Preparation-9th Grade
During their freshman year, students will participate in the formation process to prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation. Students will then be confirmed during the fall of their sophomore year.
- Ninth-grade students attend seven small group preparation sessions designed to help the students strengthen their own faith lives.
- Small groups will meet their mentor (small group leader) in September and the group will determine meeting times.
- Before attending their first session, students are asked to complete their Faith Habits Worksheet.
- They will also attend a retreat in Fall 2022 (date TBD) prior to receiving the Sacrament.
- The Sacrament of Confirmation will be celebrated Nov 6, 2022. A sign up will be sent closer to Confirmation for students to sign up for their preferred time.
Please click links below for additional information:
Sacrament of Confirmation-10th Grade
After completing the formation process during their freshman year, students will then be confirmed during the fall of their sophomore year. During their sophomore year, they will also attend the Confirmation retreat prior to receiving the sacrament.
Please contact Lisa Schmidt, Director of Faith Formation, at 515-440-1030 for more information.
Adult Volunteers Needed
Adult volunteers are needed to serve as Confirmation mentors (small group leader). Small group discussion is an essential part of the Confirmation preparation process. We rely on parents of the students preparing for confirmation to lead these small groups. Small groups can meet at church, virtually or in your home. All materials and training will be provided.
For more information, please contact Lisa Schmidt, Director of Faith Formation, at 515-440-1030.