Sacrament Preparation-First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion
What an exciting time in your child’s faith life! The Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Communion are typically celebrated during the child’s 2nd grade school year. If your child is older than 2nd grade and you desire for your child to receive the Sacrament of First Reconciliation and First Communion, please call the Faith Formation Office at: 515-440-1030.
Tentative Calendar for 2022-23
Faith Formation Volunteer Opportunities
FACTS (For Faith Formation Payment)
2022-23 First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion Sacramental Prep
Once in second grade, children seven years of age and older are eligible to begin preparation for the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion at St. Francis of Assisi. Through our Family Formation program, we are committed to giving parents, the first educators in the faith, the tools to help raise children in the Catholic faith. As parents journey with their children, the First Sacraments program also invites the opportunity for a deeper appreciation of the sacraments for the entire family.
The first half of the First Sacraments program year focuses on preparation for First Reconciliation; the second half focuses on preparation for First Holy Communion.
Key Elements of Preparation:
- Regular worship at Sunday Mass. Cultivating a commitment of attending Sunday Mass is the best preparation parents can do in helping children prepare for the sacraments. The Mass calls us to be disciples of Jesus Christ, nourishes us for that task, and then sends us forth to practice our faith in the coming week.
- Student participation in classroom lessons either through Family Formation monthly sessions or enrollment in our parish school
- Parent participation in sacramental preparation parent meetings
- Parent/child participation in First Reconciliation and First Communion retreats
- Completion of home lessons with the family. We recognize what goes on in your home is an important part of the preparation for receiving the sacraments. We also recognize families are tremendously busy these days. Our goal is to assist families in making sacramental preparation an enjoyable part of everyday life.
All parish children who wish to receive their First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion at St. Francis of Assisi must register with the Faith Formation Office and are required to be enrolled in Family Formation or St. Francis School.
To register or for more information please contact the Faith Formation Office at: 515-440-1030.
The fee for sacramental preparation is $50 per family. This fee covers the cost of materials for the home lessons.
Fees will be invoiced via your FACTS account. If you do not have a St. Francis FACTS account, please review FACTS Instructions (PDF) for the steps to set one up prior to invoicing.
Many volunteers are needed to help Faith Formation programming run smoothly. Adult Catechists receive free Faith Formation (Family Formation, CGS, and Youth Ministry) tuition for their children. Teen volunteers receive service hours. Please view the list of Volunteer Roles Needed.
If you are interested in sharing your time and talents with our youth, please contact the Faith Formation Office at 515-440-1030.
Kids Explain the Holy Eucharist
Kid-friendly explanation of each line of the Lord’s Prayer