Our Service groups allow us to put love into action. St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church offers many opportunities to serve both our parish family and the broader community. If you have any questions about serving our parish, please email email@example.com.
If you have a specific gift or talent you would like to offer to the parish but it does not fit in our current programs, please fill out our Talents and Gifts Inventory and let us know how you would like to serve. We often have needs for unique skills and we would be happy to contact you when the opportunity arises. You can fill out the form here.
Art & Environment Committee
The Art & Environment Committee plans and implements the liturgical decorations for the parish, decorates the altar, and cares for the interior plants and flowers. Help is always welcome for the variety of tasks the committee performs. For more information, contact Molly.
Funeral Luncheon Ministry
The parish provides a luncheon for the family and for those attending the funeral. Parishioners who volunteer to help at funeral luncheons see first hand how grateful the families are and that the people who attend can feel the love and compassion extended to them by our parishioners. If you are interested in helping with this very rewarding ministry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Homebound Ministry serves those members of our church body who, due to physical limitations, are unable to attend church services regularly. If you are interested in helping with this very rewarding ministry, please email email@example.com.
Homeless & Hungry
St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church offers parishioners many opportunities to assist the homeless and hungry in the greater Des Moines area. We do this by serving at local shelters and hosting various projects throughout the year such as:
- Coat Drive in the Fall
- Thanksgiving Baskets in November
- Angel Trees in December
- Lenten Crosses in March/April
If you have questions regarding these projects, please email Montse.
We also support 4 different homeless and hungry services each month:
- St. Joseph Family Emergency Shelter: Volunteers provide dinner for approximately 30 people on the 2nd Saturday of each month. Contact: Kim
- Central Iowa Shelter & Services: Volunteers provide the meal, supplies and serve downtown on the 9th and 10th of each month. View the signup here. Contact: Lisa
- Connection Café: Volunteers serve lunches for over 100 homeless and working poor the 3rd Wednesday of each month in downtown Des Moines. Contact: Carole
- Food Pantry Sunday: Volunteers coordinate a monetary collection for the local food pantries every 4th Sunday of the month. You can donate here. Contact: Randy
- Iowa Homeless Youth Center: Donations of food are collected to provide the meal on the 2nd Wednesday of the month. (September – May only) Contact: Amy
Knights of Columbus
The Knights is a group of men that brings fellowship along with their fundraising for many groups like the Mentally Challenged, Special Olympics, ARC Industries, Ruby Van Meter School and Bishop Drumm Alzheimer Unit.